Article by Gregory Peters, Reiki Rays
One of the many privileges of being a Reiki practitioner is the honor of working with Spirit Guides. Working with your guides not only enhances the overall effectiveness of your Reiki practice, but also increases your own experience and self-healing. In many ways working with the Spirit Guides will also help you with spiritual awakening.
Our attunement and commitment to the healing energy of Reiki unites us with many subtle levels of being. The Spirit Guides are a particular class of non-physical beings that are dedicated to the healing tradition of Reiki.
The Spirit Guides meet you during your Reiki attunement, and are ready to work with you immediately. Although you may not even be aware of their presence, the Spirit Guides are enhancing and working with you to assist in being an open channel for the healing energies of Reiki.
Although not necessary for working with them, you may feel called to connect with your guides more directly. You can formally introduce yourself, and even learn their names and appearances. In this way your Spirit Guides become spiritual friends who you know and can call up at anytime by name.
As a Reiki healer, your guides are already subtlety teaching you how to contact them and best work with them. This may be completely unconscious, such that you find yourself performing actions during healing sessions that seem almost automatic or guided. Teachings may come through in dreams, since it is easiest for them to communicate with you when the waking mind is quiet. This is also why quiet, calming meditation is a great means to open the lines of communication with your guides.
There are several guided meditations available online that can help you with establishing closer rapport with your guides. You can also contact them directly on your own, either before a self-healing session or as a special meditation itself. Here is a suggested method. Feel free to modify or elaborate it as your own intuition sees fit.
- Sit quietly in a place where you will not be disturbed or distracted. This may be a spot where you meditate regularly in your home, or where you normally give Reiki treatments.
- Close your eyes. Take a slow, deep breath in, while seeing yourself filling up with brilliant white light. Then exhale, allowing all of your tensions to flow out with the breath. Repeat this two more times, then establish a gentle, slow, relaxed breathing pattern. A good one to start with is breath in for a count of 4, hold the breath for a count of 4, breathe out for a count of 4 – repeat. The important thing is to relax, see yourself filled with radiant white light, and to allow all the tensions to fade away.
- Sound a long “Ahhhhhh” while seeing your aura become even brighter, filled with radiant white luminescence. With your eyes closed, “see” with your spiritual eyes. This stimulates the Third Eye and will increase your overall psychic perception.
- Activate Dai Ko Myo with the mantra and seeing it above your head in brilliant bluish-white light. Even if you can not see this clearly, have the intention and know it is there. Give the other symbols and mantras in the order of Cho Ku Rei, Sei He Ki, and Hon Sha Ze Sho Nen.
- Invite your Spirit Guides to come close, and to introduce themselves directly to you. Say these words, or use your own that may come from inspiration in the moment:
“I call and invite my Spirit Guides to be present! Guardians and Guides of Reiki, I invite you to be here now!”
- With your spiritual eyes, gaze into the white brilliance that surrounds you, and see the forms taking shape before you. The white brilliance resolves into a natural, beautiful landscape. See the figures before you. These are you guides!
There may be 1, 3, or more. Some practitioners work with countless guides. See them clearly. Ask them their names. Ask them how you can best work with them. Have a conversation with them, as they are wise beings and will have much to impart to aid you in your own spiritual practice.
The best thing to do once you have established contact is to ask them to assist in a healing. Whether this is a self-healing, or a healing for a client or friend, be sure to work with them to help solidify the connection.
Finally, you can ask them for a unique symbol that only you will know. This symbol, like the main Reiki symbols, will become your personal means of directly contacting your guides when you need them. You can incorporate this symbol into your work in many ways. For example, with long distance healing, you can now use your special symbol in combination with Hon Sha Ze Shoo Nen to ensure that your Spirit Guides will work on a healing directly.
At the end of your session, be sure to thank your Spirit Guides for their assistance. Your Reiki connection will only continue to deepen and mature as you work with them regularly. Also, the more you consciously work with your guides, the more you will increase your intuition and ability to listen to their instruction, ultimately giving you many unique approaches in your own healing practice.
Free eBook download: We’ve created an eBook with our best articles on this topic, and offer it for free to all our newsletter subscribers. Click the image below to subscribe and download the PDF:
Gregory Peters is an Usui Ryoho Reiki Master and Teacher, Esoteric author and traveler. He has over 20 years of experience in Western and Eastern metaphysical systems, and enjoys traveling to sacred sites around the world, exploring spiritual practices from many cultures and traditions. You can follow him on